davew (cincy):
Grant:
MKSGR:
davew (cincy):

Very true.  I'm not sure how much slowing occurs in a fraction of a second, but I'm sure you are at least right in principle!

The strange thing is that the car can loose like 5-10kph (!) during these high-speed shifts (relative to N/A car with F1 transmission) Smiley

That number is based on the Turbocharged GT2 that falls out of maximum boost, right?  No way that happens with a normally aspirated motor...

Of course deceleration during the shift would not be affected by NA versus turbo, but you make a strong point for the shifting effect on a GT2 or Turbo.  When PDK is available on those cars, it should be very significant.

Honestly, I doubt that the deceleration is as significant as this, but my calcs at least show that, even in this debatable case, the shift delay does not add second-for-second to lap time.

Here's the video I used:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4JXiGFJI5I

I don't see any real drop in speed between shifts here.  And the shifting is not perfect or consistent each time.  Of course, the speedo needle is probably not that time-responsive either.  Don't even bother trying to use the digital display - its way slow...

Right - the loss of 5 or 10 kph won't happen over the .3 sec shifting window - it could only happen over the longer period of resuming acceleration and respooling full boost, relative to a car on full boil (no actual loss of that much velocity).  Even then, seems exaggerated to me.  Non-turbo cars will not display anything like this behavior.

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello