GTlover:
reginos:

I'll be very disappointed if Porsche do that for 2 reasons:

• It will show them as incapable of producing a strong up to date race engine, as opposed to their competitors that come up with solutions all the time.
  • The traditional link between road cars and motorsport that Porsche managed to build since the 60s will wane and fade.

How can Porsche management appear so distant from such issues?

Anyway, I hope monkey's piece of info proves inaccurate.

Hi Reginos,

Fully agree..but Porsche Management is very far from the customers..at least since VW took over.

But a few others points:

1) Yes, the RS Sypder was a succesful new DFI engine - luckily it will be used in the 918. However, it wouldnt fit in the 991 so ..Neverthless, I agree, its sign of incapability..- nevertheless I believe that the 991 RSR with Mezger could still be a serious contender..what if it wins in Le Mans next year? All critics will be gone in one second

2) What is really unclear to me is how it will work with the regulations...but reading the regulations I think there is no must for Porsche to use the same engine...and if so they could do it with the 991 GT3 RS

3) PDK on Mezger - correct - but a sequential gearbox has been developped for this years Le Mans race. I suspect that it will be taken over to the 991 RSR. In fact this years Le Mans problems were mainly due to the gearbox. Maybe we will see sequential gearbox in 991 GT3 RS.,.but I would doubt it..prohibitive cost.

Anyway, Porsche just killed off the GT3..my advice to all 997 GT3 - GT2 owners can only be - dont sell your car...it weil become a future classic. I will not sell mine..thats clear..

In answer to your posts above:

1. It is important to remember that the outgoing 997 RSR was relatively competitive because it was given important performance breaks (both in Aero and engine) by the ACO. The question therefore is whether the 991 will be competitive without performance breaks? Whilst the new chassis and aerodynamics will no doubt be a marked improvement, questions must still be asked about continuing to race an engine that is now a little long in the tooth.

It really is not just a question of whether the 991 will be competitive (relatively) in 2013, but also whether there is room for development in 2014 and onward. I suspect that 2014 just might see a new engine being placed in the 991 RSR .

As for Le Mans: I will be very happy to eat my words and detractions. May 2013 be the start of a new winning streak for Porsche at Le Mans!!!

3. The 997RSR was already racing with a sequential gearbox for ages.