Leawood911:

Again - it will be a version of the S motor - i.e. 9A1.  It may be a better engine, newer generation all that - but the GT3 of old is dead.  That WAS a sweet motor and it is gone.  No way the 9A1 will have the same character.  Thought it may be more powerful.

We should wait and see. When I heard about Porsche abandoning the Mezger engine in the 997 Turbo facelift, I was devastated. Actually I had an argument with "somebody" at Porsche about this, I called him a tradition killer and accused him of supporting saving cost. He tried to convince me that the new engine not only saves cost but also offers more possibilities for future projects. I didn't believe him. Until I drove the 997 Turbo facelift and then the Turbo S for the first time. Wow.

Yes, I would have loved to own one of these last GT3 RS 4.0, why should I lie? Even now, I have moments when I regret passing on getting one for MSRP. Now even more since my wife doesn't really seem to "appreciate" my choice for the Panamera Turbo S, despite her persuasion to get one.

I told the very same "somebody" the same a couple of days ago and he told me something I already knew but something I always tend to forget: Porsche has a tradition of actually building a better next model lately. If I would have gone for the GT3 RS 4.0, I would have probably regretted it with the next coming 991 GT3 RS generation.

I get it: The Mezger engine has a long tradition. Maybe it is time to move on. Maybe, I need to see and drive the new models first.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4