PureBlue:
pride355:
Porker:
pride355:
Porker:

Regarding the brakes, I warmly recommend the AP-racing six-pots front and rear, they're wonderful. I use them in combination with braided brake hoses, ATE Superblue brake fluid and Endless brakepads. They create wonderful stopping power without any fade whatsoever.

This is the most effective upgrade one can make to CSL. The brakes are the weakest point of the car. The stopping power is not bad but stock brakes fade easily; the common problem on all M cars Smiley

I once driven my friend's CSL for 2 days (approx. 500-600 km) when I used to have 997.1 Carrera S back in 2007.

CSL's stock suspansion is just right both for road and track use. You feel the car and it is not too stiff (unlike my 997.1 which had -20mm sport chassie Smiley). Also the quicker steering rack along with the stock suspansion makes the car "point and shoot" kind of character. And that marvelous intake noise which can only be surpassed by 355/360 Ferrari intake noise. Smiley

You've had the 997.1 C2S -20mm and experienced the CSL, what do you reckon is the sharper driver, the more focused machine? If I'd be forced to choose now, I wouldn't know which one to take, but I haven't experienced the C2S yet.

I would definately choose the CSL. THe balance of the CSL is much better than tail heavy 911. For me, driving a CSL was more fun. 997.1 Sport Chassie is too stiff; it is like driving on wooden tires. I drove the cars back to back. CSL was sharp, had positive steering feel and direct. On the same road, my Carrera S was too stiff, uncomfortable, bounced a lot because of the road imperfections, too much feel on the steering wheel on bumpy roads, too sensitive to weight transfer. I love CSL buckets and prefer them over my Adaptive sports seats in 911.

On 911, the clutch was heavy and I had factory short shift which means the shift throws, especially 1st to 2nd gear shifts, were very notchy. As for the engine: that intake noise of the CSL was marvelous  SmileySmiley

I also prefer F1 style gearboxes over manual transmission. I also found the SMGII gearbox of the CSL much better than my ex-E46 M3 SMGII. Especially downshift program was better. Thus CSL made louder and furious noises on downshifts evenif you are not on the gas. However, this was 5 years ago. Today, I may find it rather raw and slow after my E92 M3's DKG.

On the other hand, I must confess that 911 had much better brakes. And it was noticeable faster. One reason is Carrera S gearing is much better than CSL. Especially 4th, 5th and 6th gears ratios are much shorter on 911. CSL hit 220 km/h in 4th and 275 in 5th which are too tall gearing for just 360 hp. Also 911 put more power to the wheels than CSL evenif on paper CSL has 5 more hp.

However, I would switch the cars in a heartbeat if it was possible. I never liked my 997.1 Carrera S and in general I don't like 997 driving characteristics. 991 is much better in this regard. 

Interesting discussion.  Regarding the CSL's OEM suspension, it's difficult for me at this stage to make a proper assessment, as i haven't tested it on track yet - and the long drive down to Cape Town consisted mainly of long, boring straights.  On the few twisty mountain roads near the end of my trip, however, the suspension certainly acquitted itself well of its task - good balance, firm but not too stiff, definitely confdence-inspiring.  I can vouch for its "point-and-shoot" character.

Regarding the comparison to the 997.  I've spent a lot of time, on track and on the road, in both a 997.1 C2S without SPASM and a 997.2 GTS with SPASM - and certainly didn't find either to be too stiffly-sprung (although I leave the dampers in their Normal setting for road use). 

Unfortunately you cannot choose SPASM for 997.1 Carrera S. It was avaliable for 997.2.

For 997.1 Carrera S, you either have PASM (which doesn't have LSD) or -20 mm sport chassie (which is actually only 10mm lower than PASM and has LSD). There is no sport-normal adjustment on -20 mm sport chassie. It is always on "too stiff mode" and not adjustable. It is almost as stiff as PASM in sport mode.

After I deliver the car, I remember reading -20 mm sport chassie explanation from Porsche and it was saying that "it is only for track use" SmileySmiley

They are right. My Carrera S was wonderful on İstanbul Park F1 Race Circuit. But I had driven there once in a total of 22.000 km.

997.2 SPASM with LSD is a whole different story though..

--

ONUR

WAITING FOR THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)