Unthinkable. After a 996 and 2x997 C2S I have ordered a Boxster. I tested one Friday and I think it is now the best value for money car that Porsche makes. I didn't order a 991 in the end as I couldn't find a manual to test and wasn't sure about the spec vs price of the new car. I do think that the 991 looks expensive when fully loaded with the performance options.

Why a new Boxster? Firstly the quality of fit and finish is as far as I can see is the same as a 991 (Excellent). Secondly if you spec the car well it feels inside like a car at least 2 classes above and frankly as good as any 991 I have sat in. You really can't fault it and when you go digging around underneath it, really it is very well made. Thirdly it drives as well as it looks. To my eyes it's the best looking production Porsche right now.

I tested the car in very wet to dry conditions and came away impressed. Having driven 911's for 10 years (and tested a Cayman and a couple of Boxsters) the 981 really feels a generation ahead just like the 991. Like the 991, some of the steering feel has been lost but the overall level of refinement, balance and capability has been increased. In the wet the car is very predictable at least at road speeds and there's plenty of grip wet or dry. I'd have to go on a track to find out more.  The Boxster S does lack torque compared to even a Gen 1 C2S but once past 4500 revs goes quite well.. The chassis feels like it could handle another 50hp easily. My dealer tells me that I can't have the 991 3.4 parts fitted. Oh well. The ride quality on PASM and 20 inch wheels is probably the best I have tried in a sports car with no sacrifice in body control. I still prefer manual to PDK and I'm pleased that they kept the 'old' gearbox with 6 speeds. Do you need more??

The car sounds great with the roof down and is refined with the roof up. There's no discernable scuttle shake and in heavy rain it was completely dry and watertight as you'd hope. I love the fact that you can raise the hood at 50km/h so you can stay dry when the heavens open. 

I have not turned my back on the 911 and await the new GT3 or a softening of GT2 prices to a point where they are sensible here. But in the meantime I have joined the queue for a Boxster at the end of the year. If it's as good as my first impression tells me the I might just keep it a long time.