Ferdie:

Savvy,

to bring the discussion into another direction how did you like the individual modifications on the car? And what are you targeting next? Guess the logical step would be a Cup car...

Ferdie, Everything pretty much turned out as I expected. Previous experience was having done a 2011 Boxster Spyder with MovIt's, Capristo valved system, Tarett suspension, Tech-1 forged wheels and Trofeos and a 2010 GT3RS with MovIt oversize rotors only, Akrapovic Evolution, Tech 1 forged wheels w/Hoosier R6 slicks, 4.0 clutch, welded coolant fittings, Tarett / Intrax suspension, Guard LSD and full Clubsport cage. So I had an excellent basis on which to decide how to do the 4.0.

My goal was to maximize weight reduction so starting with a "stripper" spec 4.0, I shaved another approx 40 lbs of unsprung/rotating weight vs an OE steel brake spec car, and then another 55lbs of sprung weight. I do notice and very much enjoy the improved handling dynamics resulting from the weight reduction.

After a track day I no longer have wheel vibration due to loss of wheel balance thanks to the knurled bead seats of the Rays wheels (tire don't rotate on rim). So those gave me great looks, increased strength, weight loss and keep my wheel balance. Obviously happy with that Smiley

The Akrapovic with its 100 cell cats really accentuate the elastic nature of the 4.0 engine. Even though Porsche opened the stock exhaust with new 300 cell cats they were still a restriction. Also the quality of the port finishing on the Akrapovic headers was much smoother than the OE header which have a nasty flow interrupting  connection between the header flange and tube connections. No dyno, but no doubt in my mind the Akrapovic system really added power to the 4.0 along with massive weight reduction. The sound at WOT is of course glorious as anyone that has heard and Akrapovic system can testify to.

The new brakes are of course heroic in their stopping power, but the beauty is in the ability to modulate for controlled trailbraking, consistent bite and pedal effort across the full range of temperatures or wet/dry. And no pad noise at all. It should go without saying it would be simply impossible to induce fade with even the most horribly abusive conditions. The pedal is rock hard 100% of the time, a contributing factor being the rigidity of the billet calipers. The OE Brembos are flexy and it can be felt in the pedal and show up in tapered pads. The one price to pay for F1 technology and true bombproof performance is that gravel can get between the wheel and caliper and scratch the barrel of the wheels as it works its way out. Purely cosmetic but a single downside.

It is common knowledge (Carrera, where are you with that darn report?) 3.6's and 3.8's will kill OE LSD's in short order so it was a foregone conclusion that the 4.0 would kill the clutch pack in no time, so a proven-performance Guard LSD went in to get the power to the ground.

Porsche did already install solid connections where it counted most: rear toe-control arms, bottom rear shock mounts, inboard rear LCA's, so no benefit in my mind, for my street car, to add more spherical ended bits and pieces. Handling and ride were already at a good compromise.

Bottom line, I knew what I wanted to achieve, the ultimate drivers car, and was able to put a package together that wasn't hype and dreams, it was reality and performance. Increased reliability and handling dynamics. The car is now as Porsche would have built it were it not focused on producing marketing videos and being the most profitable car manufacturing company in the world.

Next is a full-cage, track only car. Not a Cup- simply ridiculous operating cost per hour. Porsche has priced itself into the stratosphere and well beyond the value of the cars it manufactures. Parts and service costs are from 3-5 times those of comparable performing cars. Unless one simply enjoys lighting $1000 dollar bills on fire simply to watch the flames, there are many better choices than a Cup and more on the way over the next couple of years.