Futch:
RC:

Porsche is slightly different regarding technical requirements and specs but people may not know this and think that they are just like any other manufacturer. Smiley

[...] I will face the same dilemma when the time comes to replace my Bridgestone on the Turbo S and I think I will fit Supersports even though they won't be N rated.

Again, not Porsche approved, but Michelin approved. Good enough for me.

I think I have mentioned it somewhere before but the 997 was one of the development vehicles for the Super Sport tire. They even made the demo runs at press and retail events on a 997 throughout the entire event. Of course the N rating on a Porsche is far from irrelevant but that doesn´t mean that cars must behave much worse without it. From my understanding, I assume that the construction of the tire as well as the compound are already adapted to cars with a comparatively high load on these tires as is the case on a 911´s rear axle. Anyhow I can only see three reasons why Porsche does not rate the Super Sport on the 997:

a. the tire is inappropriate

b. the rating is in the procedure to be released

c. there is a delay due to technical or organizational reasons.

On a sidenote, the current pdf listing available tire options does not list the Super Sport for the 991 as well, only the Goodyear and Pirelli.