nberry:

The problem with martial arts training is it leads one to be more willing to fight. It is like owning  a high performance sport and one needs to find out what it can do.

Short of your life or family being threaten, the courageous and smart individual walks away. 

This is why I do Krav Maga. I did Kung Fu and Taekwando before that and yes, you get very competitive training with others, especially if you realize that you learn fast. Cocky is the right word...I guess. Smiley

In Krav Mage, the first thing you learn is to...avoid a fight. The best fight is the one you don't have to fight because you don't get hurt or killed. Our trainer is really fantastic, he also trains us mentally, he makes us strong, strong enough to actually avoid a fight, simply by learning about possible dangers and consequences. The most dangerous fight is a fight against someone with a gun, anything can happen, even if you are a professional. This is why he taught us to avoid fights involving guns by any means, unless of course one has to (police, etc.).

From time to time he also shows us real video footage of real fights (police, army, etc.) and the possible consequences. You get a feeling for real dangers and the cockiness disappears pretty fast.

Oh...and one last thing I will never forget: He told us, that if we are in a life threatening danger, we need to understand that it is either "him" or you. The best shot to win such a fight is to use the most powerful hits and blows, no holding back. If you hold back, no matter why, you are dead. So yes, I should actually train more (muscles, you need brute force) but since I'm not working in law enforcement/etc., I think I can relax. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (at Porsche right now), BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4