Ferdie:
davew (cincy):

Since PDK has become very fast and smooth, and (I think) even capable of shifting in the middle of a curve, why not have an input on the column (like a paddle or thumb button) just to tell the transmission "full go" (ie shift upwards for fastest acceleration based on predefined ideal shift points) or "give me torque now" or "downshift quickly for upcoming curve" etc.

I'm no expert at all (the video above scares the .... out of me) but it seems like PDK is already monitoring accelerator, brake, steering, etc. so just telling the car general instructions could be all that is necessary for optimal performance.  Is this already being done, or am I just a simpleton??

It already takes acceleration input (longitudinal as well as transversal) into account. These general instructions you are referring to is more or less what is stored in standard, sport and sport plus mappings, isn´t it?

I drive a manual, and have only occasionally tried the PDK for interest, so I am not an expert, but I think current PDK uses onboard data to ESTIMATE THE PROPER MODE (such as selecting the next gear up or down, and the point at which to change to it) and it also learns driving style through datagathering in general.  This approach, though pretty impressive for what it is, seems (to me) to be a little too inaccurate and general to be sufficient for highly competitive racing.  If shifting is smooth and quick enough to occur pretty much anywhere (like near the limit of traction in a curve) then perhaps allowing the driver to specify the exact (not estimated) operating mode (shift style) based on his observation and insight, and letting the transmission calculate and execute the shifting according to onboard data, within that driver-specified style, is a little different (I think) and possibly a better fit for racing scenarios.  Here I use style as a very temporary, dynamic state, not the same as choosing standard, sport, sport plus, etc.

Maybe I'm a little off here, and (as is often the case) I probably shouldn't even express my uneducated thought on the subject...

Thanks for your thoughts Ferdie, I think you know more about this than I do.