Ferdie:

Maybe I was too young for that but decades ago Porsche offered the 924 and 944 which, albeit being an in-house development, were not boasting the same pedigree as the 928 and especially the 911. Didn´t people resent these cars back then as much as Cayenne and even Panamera nowadays? Porsche itself started off with cars based on Volkswagen Beetle drivetrains which they modified according to their needs. Did people resent their technical and historical linkage? A few years ago we were debating that Porsche is loosing their edge over the competition and that they rightfully had to up their game. Now they come up with technical solutions (PDCC, PDK, PTV, etc.) yet people complain that they became too expensive, they release entirely new models yet they departed too far from their heritage (I agree though that the base price has increased substantially and subjectively unjustified).

I do not have a problem with Porsche offering a variety of models that are further off the sportscar ideology, nor do I have an issue with Volkswagen providing the technical basis. I do believe though that Porsche has to remain the engineering-driven company that has gained this marvelous reputation over the years. I do see a general trend in motoring industry that marketing and accountants play a significant role and are able to mislead a certain amount of people in their opinion. The people on this board are mostly enthusiasts that are able to see behind the facade and have the proper insight to the subject. 

Whether we like Porsche´s direction or not, they play by the rules of today´s industry and all I can say is that they have some tremendous people working for the brand. This doesn´t mean that they are faultless but they usually have the edge over their competitors. Porsche has gone from a virtually bankrupt company at the beginning of the 90ies to a over-efficient venture that earned more money with finance than with producing cars to a daughter company from Volkswagen that has to defend its role in the corporation´s grid. All I personally want is Porsche to put back the focus on their engineering talent and provide us with some proper cars. 

Your exposition above is very good but let me add a few points.

The time 924/944 existed good cars in terms of looks, build quality and handling were few and far between so these basic Porsche in spite of their limitations they were still special. This cannot be said of some models in the Cayenne, Panamera and even Boxster ranges. You cannot offer a 250 PS engine on a 2 tonne + car and call it a Porsche when BMW can do much better at 60% of the price. This drags the image and credibility of the whole brand down and it will cost in the longer. IMO a Porsche should have a minimum power/weight ratio before it is signed off for production.

Another point is the cost of additional equipment. Everything is extra on Porsche and at a hefty cost compared not to Japanese but to German cars. I had a chance to inspect a BMW Gran Coupe the other day. A superb car in all respects with everything at a fraction of the Panamera price. People are not stupid and they don't like to waste money because a marketing blurb describes something which really is not.

Cynical accountants push for very ordinary models in terms of performance and equipment  and they cream the profit and marketeers knowingly sell a badge with little substance. This approach might be OK for naive markets for now but it is a very short term strategy. Porsche is not a company leading in engineering innovation anymore, but following with some delay. That role has been taken over by companies like BMW and Audi both in public perception and in reality.

We want cars from Porsche to make the impact the 911 Turbo made in 1974 a technical tour de force like the 959, a prototype legend like the 956/962 and a successful engine like the TAG-Porsche again. These will make us believe again.

--

"Form follows function"