My experience with 911s has been a bit different than some of what I read about Porsches over the years.

I recall that when 911s had the lead weights was removed from the front bumper overriders  and the  wheelbase increased a couple of inches in the ''60s,  and  some "purists" mourned the death of real Porsche pusher skills.

When I switched from the manual steering 74 S I bought in '77, to a 78 SC ( in '79) with power steering standard, I began to appreciate how confused opinion could be. It was a lightweight pure Porsche (ie no AC, sunroof or radio). It got compromised with adjustable shocks, wider wheels and revised geometry for serious track work. Kept it for 30 years, never tired of the ripped metal sound of the sport muffler at high RPMS, or even the sweet smell of oil. Probably would still have it but I tired of no AC or sound deadening, and committed total sin and moved to one of those fake Porsche water cooled Boxters- a "trim special" RS-60 Spyder - with silly stuff like PASM and PSE. It could run rings around the SC. Hell, with minor suspension mods it could embarrass all the air cooled non - turbo 911s and many of the fancier water cooled 911s at the track. It had just about the sweetest shifting 6 speed  the best sounding exhaust that ever graced a tunnel- with (horrors) a the push of a button, and perfect traditional steering feel.

In my new Carerra S, the steering performance and feel are the best I have ever experienced now that the extraneous twitching of a badly compromised front suspension have been undone with more wheelbase and better geometry front and rear. The car turns in better than the Boxter, way more speed can be carried deeper into turns, and all the good "power down early" feel is there in spades with all that torque. The suspension is so supple that despite being lowered with stiffer springs and sways (PASM Sport) , that the 20 in wheels ride more comfortably that the 19s on the Boxter, and the Sport+ setting is actually useable. It is a total pleasure on the street, what with AC and a quiet interior. The PDK is sliky smooth left alone or shifted manually (except in Sport+ where it does a pretty good imitation of a cup car), and it sounds as sweet as the 78 or Boxter ever did, from idle to its much higher red line.

But I guess all such experiences are personal.