Ahm, I'm going to drop a little bomb here, see how it falls...
Am I the only one who thinks that PDK (or any double shifted gearbox for that matter) is an unnecessarily complicated solution to a problem?
Let's get back to the start: ok, we need a gearbox/decoupling between the engine and the wheels in order to make the wheels spin at a different speed than the engine, and we want to make better use of the rev range of the engine.
Traditionally, this has been done with the gearbox/clutch combination as we know it. The disadvantage is that in order to shift gears, the  engine is de-coupled from the wheels for a while, resulting in loss of traction and slower cars.

So, to solve this, a long time ago, someone had the idea to combine two separate gearboxes with two clutching systems, so that when one gear is disengaged, another is engaged.

Now, one car manufacturer actually managed to get it working, and everybody and their dog is imitating the system, maybe with small adaptations, but they are in essence unoriginal ideas.

Is there not one value engineer who can think outside the box, and come up with an idea that uses an entire different principle? In the meantime, that may solve the whole issue of manual vs automatic shifting, which in the end comes down to personal preference anyway...

I realize that the story above will probably contain a lot of holes, but I hope you understand the message that I try to bring across, and react to the intention rather than the way the message was formulated

(and yes, I am a bit cranky because the Dutch team played like a set of grannies, and the German team played wonderful. Gratuliere Nachbarn! wink)

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys