It is actually pretty easy to circumvent a possible dyno "detection", by not using a conventional dyno. There are systems on the market which allow the calculation of the engine power based on sensors and a nice algorithm. These systems aren't 100% accurate but they could tell 550 horses from 650 horses. 

According to Sport Auto, BMW and Mercedes cheated. Big time. Porsche was only suspected of cheating and of course it can't be excluded that they did but I doubt that this incident has something to do with the current press "embargo" towards certain car magazines. Maybe Porsche is just p.ss.d because they compare cars which shouldn't be compared, like that idiotic comparison of a Panamera 4S to the new BMW M5 or the Panamera GTS to the Audi S7.

On the other hand, Porsche needs to understand that car magazines, reviewers but especially customers have a certain expectation when it comes to Porsche cars. Putting a 250 hp engine into a 2 ton car isn't quite Porsche-like. It is also difficult to comprehend that a 991 Carrera S Cabriolet can easily pass 140k EUR with some options.

The competition for Porsche has grown very strong and people do not expect Porsche cars to be at par with the competition but...better. Faster. Sportier.

Take the Panamera Turbo S for example, a car I ordered and for a very good reason: For 60k EUR more than the BMW M5, I would have expected superior power, like 600 horses or so. It didn't happen.

Look at the Panamera GTS: A very nice and sporty sedan for over 140k EUR with some options. C'mon, this is BMW M5 and E63 AMG territory. Yes, the Panamera is one of the sportiest sedans in the world but still...there is kind of a disproportion between the performance and the price tag.

A well optioned Boxster S is around 90k EUR. Seriously? I can get a C63 AMG Coupe PP for the same money, a car which blows the Boxster S to pieces from 0-200 kph (aprox. 3-4 seconds difference and this is huge) and is really fun to drive. Where is the exceptional value of the Porsche?

A Cayenne Diesel is around 90k EUR with some options, you can even spend 100k EUR or more on a Cayenne Diesel. This is ridiculous.

If Porsche feels that the press isn't treating them fair, they need to up the game. A lot. 

Put 600 horses into the next generation 991 Turbo and destroy the competition. Put a monster Diesel with 400 hp into the Cayenne or Panamera and destroy the competition. Just two simple examples.

Like I said before, people have certain expectations regarding the brand Porsche and the competition is extremely tough. So do something about it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (at Porsche right now), BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4