I'm with Itse, Rossi, neberry and Dreamcar... in fact is it just RC that differs..?

I have the 997 GTS, but if I think about it, in the last 6 months since I've had it - the most frustrating thing is the complete inabilty to use it's power.  I found it far easier to push my Audi S4 to the point that it seemed it was trying, but the same daily/weekly/monthly driving pattern hasn't provided the 997 GTS with the opportunity to stretch it's legs at all.

Yes, it gives me more of a smile that I'm in the real deal, but am I really driving it anywhere close to it's capability on public roads..?  Nope.  I can completely understand the Boxster point as I've driven a couple of them: you can get a feel of what it is capable of every time you drive it...  And driving fast on a motorway is hardly what driving a Porsche is really all about.  Maybe vmax is part of it for some people (like RC), but you can drive pretty fast (and relatively safely) on a highway in most premium-end cars these days.  Maybe it's because, as RC suggests, I'm overwhelmed by the power of my car (and hey, it's not even a turbo!).  I don't think so though, like any of us, it's likely we are more spirited than is good for us, and have, in an entry level Boxster, more than enough power to kill ourselves - and others - if we used (all of) it inappropriately.

RC, like in a recent couple of posts on the Panamera thread, I am in awe of your eyesight and reaction times: sadly I'm clearly not in your league.  They must make speed traps strangely visible in Germany, because you simply wouldn't beat them here in South Africa travelling at robust speeds.  Maybe our traffic cops are better?  Nope, that can't be the case, trust me!  Also, it's all well and good going fast on the autobahn, but on other roads such as the twisties, a Boxster S is surely fast enough to be dangerous: twisties, but they nature, have other drivers (and cyclists) coming in the opposite direction.  Surely there aren't sufficient private, closed off twistie roads..?

I've never heard of anyone buying a 997 cab instead of a 981 for luggage space.  I can imagine the 2 seats being a consideration for quick trips with the kids (and as RC has stated - it's far from perfect), but as a consideration for luggage?  I'd rather recognise that the 997 just isn't a tourer and look at something else that can accomodate more than a weekend's luggage.  As you say, don't make [the 997 cab] something it isn't!

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)