Chris Harris On Cars: "Tuthill 911 Rally Car"

Harris on safe ground in a retro rally-spec 911 but just watch him go...

(4 April 2012)

Look away now if you don't like 911s. Especially old ones.

I happen to like these cars - a fact that regularly lands me in trouble. The one featured in this video is a 3.5-litre monster used in the Belgian rally championship. Richard Tuthill was testing at Prodrive's track near Warwick, so I went along to annoy him and blag a go in this extraordinary car.

It appears that there are very few technical rules in this series, because what started out as an innocent little 70s 911 has been transformed into one of the most brutal cars I've driven in a while. Excusing the continuity mistake in the vid - the car has more like 365hp - and taking the weight as around 1,000kg, this car is monstrously fast. Then look at the gearing - it'll just hit 120mph in 5th gear - and you'll understand how potent it is.

Chris Harris on home turf...

The transmission is a new design - effectively a 915 'box converted to dog-rings and you can flat shift up and down, giving genuine two-pedal driving should you want it. The engine is taken out to 3.5 litres and runs slide injection. It's a flipping masterpiece: so torquey you don't really need to go beyond 7,000rpm. The noise is - well, I suppose the beauty of video is I don't have to describe the thing to you. Just listen.

'Making progress' the Harris way...

It's a car that loves to be hustled - it responds to light provocation, but take liberties and it'll make you look an idiot. You quickly learn to use that mass behind the rear axle to make a change of direction or set it up for a corner. 
The car is driven by Glenn Janssens in the Belgian Rally Championship. He's a lucky blighter.

Enjoy the vid.

"Recipe to make a Tuthill 911 historic rally car: Take one donor shell, add 3.5 liter motor, extract 365hp. Remove weight to 1000kg, add dog-gearbox. Then have as much fun as you can in a car..."

...thanks again and all credit to Chris Harris!

Smiley SmileySmiley