I watched that race live on TV like all the races the previous 10 years or so.  I thought from viewing it that the steering simply broke.  I also recall that this is what the technical investigation proved.  Had the wheel not hit him in the head he would have walked away, no problem.  This was not a bad accident, just a fluke, much like Dale E. in NASCAR (sorry for the reference, just similar shunt and outcome).

Senna was the greatest and russian roulette or playing 'Chicken' is certainly part of racing.  Schumacher certainly knew this, and it is why he is no longer a factor - he simple can not play chicken anymore- lost the respect.

In a way it reminds me of how, in the old days, when the Indian captured you, you faked mental illness and they would leave you alone.  Senna and other great drivers make it clear that they are just a little less afraid of the consequences.  A bit crazy if you will.  Kimi expresses it by being the ICE Man, that may server him well as he ages into the sport.

It is a shame that MS and Senna did not race each other more back in the day.  Nice to see MS and Hamilton finally mix it up, that was one match up I missed since MS retired in anticipation of Hamilton entering the sport.