Grant:
reginos:

The GT models will also get the electric steering. It might be set up differently and if it is proven that this is what the rest of the 911 buyers want, it will be changed in the next model years. With electric steering, the engineers can easily alter its characteristics or even introduce various modes at the press of a button (which in the case of the 991, they have opted not to do).--

"Form follows function"

It is true that it is easy to offer a push-button control of the electric steering.  Many cars already include this function (BMW, Audi, new Mustang, etc.).  However, this feature only affects the amount of servo assist (and in some cases the steering ratio).  However, no electric steering system (no matter what setting chosen) has ever provided the level of feel and feedback provided by a good hydraulic system (which itself is a huge compromise from a manual rack).

If Porsche insists on using electric steering on its GT models, I think they will lose many customers (myself included).  I agree the 991 is the finest electric system in existence, but it is a big compromise from the steering used in last year's models and it only provides 1/3 of 1 mpg improvement in fuel economy.  I think GT owners would be happy to make that sacrifice!

It's a difficult one for Porsche, definitely, given some of the comments in the Press and elsewhere.

IMO the 997 steering is perfect at any speed from parking maneuvers to 200+km/h. I don't understand why they changed it. However, once they decided to go electric there is no turning back.

From the marketing point of view, if they offered conventional steering on the GT cars it will be taken by customers that the new system is no good for its purpose, because even owners of basic 911s or Boxsters still have high sporty expectations from their cars.

The only solution is to set it up better and soon.

--

"Form follows function"