On Saturday I installed the Carnewal PSE Remote Device, or as RC has called it, the “Magic Box”. Smiley

It is fantastic – just can’t think why I didn’t do it when RC first suggested it 6 months ago!  It makes that much difference that I couldn’t stop driving the car long enough to post this yesterday!!

Firstly, I can’t praise Gert at Carnewal highly enough – he was so helpful, even though I took so long to order, and he answered all my emails promptly.  Once the order was placed it arrived 2 days later via FedEx with no delivery charge...Smiley

The installation instructions arrived at the same time, by email, including illustrations...

1330358365837Carnewal Remote 1.jpg

These are the gist of the instructions...

1) Push in the spring wire and unplug the original black connector from the PSE valve.

2) Plug the male connector from the PSE module into the female original black connector.

3) Plug the female connector from the PSE module into the PSE valve.

4) Now you need to connect the black wire coming out of the module with the ground (-12V).

5) Note that the bracket of the PSE valve or the alu air intake are not to ground.

6) Easiest way is to strip off 2” of the isolation and turn it around the alu airco line, located just below the PSE valve. Secure with a tie wrap or use some tape to isolate.

7) Another option is to connect the black/red wire to the hinge of the rear deck (see photo).
For this, you can use a red round clamp that is included. (I chose this method)

8) To check if you have made a good contact with the ground, switch on the contact (don’t start the engine).

9) If you make contact with a ground, you will hear the relay inside the module clicking when you push the buttons on the remote.

10) Be careful as on some 997 models the + and – of the original PSE connector are inversed!

This means that the module does not get +12V on the pin where there should be +12V.

In this case you need to move the single red wire to the other side of the male connector.

You can get the pin out of the male connector by pushing two paper-clips in each hole next to the pin.

11) Slide the box in the space on the right side of the engine bay. There are 2 rubber hoses going to the front, the module fits nicely between these and the sound isolation.

12) You can always use some straps to hold it place.  Now secure the cabling and you’re done...

Carnewal Remote 2.jpg

The procedure was simple enough, even for me, and would have taken only about 15 minutes but for one complication!  When I checked the contact, as per item (8) above, there was no clicking sound from the module.  This meant that, on my GTS, the original PSE connector was inversed.

This meant I had to comply with the instruction (10) highlighted above.  This took about another 15 minutes to complete but the whole precess was no more than a half-hour!

The gas pressures from both inner and outer pipes are now equalised both when the car is cold and when fully warmed up..

I now have the sound I've been missing so much and there will be no potential warranty issues as the device can be uninstalled very easily.

Probably the best £100 I've ever spent....SmileySmiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."