turbolite:

I never said that the GTR is a substitute for a 911. The points you raise about the GtR are all valid and agreed upon. 

The point i was making is that the GTR dinamically has made a performance leap like no other car in the last couple of years (even more so considering the price point, the weight and the size). And now finally Porsche has reacted and build the 991 series which puts it back in the ring. And of course the 991 is still a 911 and not a Nissan, I wouldnt expect any less with that tradition (and for that price tag!) .

I agree that Nissan found a new formula that made a performance leap over the restSmiley 21, but they did so by not playing by the same rules as the others, so that is why I don't regard that performance leap as valid as a benchmark. Its like if I regard as what Radical did with their cars which are able to lap the ring under 7 minutes as a perfomance leap and the other are reacting now to their technology, when the Radicals are basically road legal race kit cars. Not really impressive, and certainly does not set any benchmark for Porsche. Its an exagerated example but it illustrates the point I'm trying to make.

Porsche on the other hand made an incredible performance leap with the 991 but by still keeping to the rules (those tradeoffs mentioned above that NIssan had to take) and still keeping to the 911 character, this is what amazed me, they did it with technology and know-how and within the 911 parameters, the jump is much bigger than the jump the made from thr 996 to the 997.

Nobody (Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Audi, tec) is following the GT-R's nor is considering its performance as a benchmark. I find more admirable what Corvette did over these year in how it transfromed the Vette with its Z0x's  into a proper sportcar with great handling, durability, performance, still not my cup of tea but they did it with great engines, chasis, RWD, manual boxes, etc. Not the way Nissan went about it.I guess its just a matter of opinion Smiley 21Smiley

--