Quote:
01Box06Z06 said:
F355: Congrats!
I just picked my Velocity Yellow Z06 up this week (still breaking it in). It is a phenominal car. I can give some accounts for driving impressions vs. my Boxster.
I haven't really hit the gas hard as I'm still breaking in the engine. I've gone up to about 4500rpm, but the engine revs very quickly even at 1/2 throttle. The car also feels VERY nimble. It's apparent that the car is well balanced and lite weight. I haven't been able to get the nose to push at all in corners. Active handling has activated a couple times even in Competition mode. The heads-up display is nice because you don't need to look down at the dash to see rpms, speed and fluid temps. The lateral g-meter is nice, but sometimes distracting if you want to see your max g in a turn. It holds the highest g level reached only for about 2 seconds and is then gone. Overall, the car is much better than the '97 I just sold. The ride is surprisingly good for a car that handles so well.
Vs. the Boxster, the internal materials aren't any better (at least in 2001) in the Boxster than the Corvette. They are both really similar. I'm sure the newer Boxsters have better materials used. Steering feel at lower speeds is much better in the Boxster. As speeds increase, the steering in the Z06 livens up and gives good feedback. The handling limits are so high on the Z06 that it's hard to explore them on the street at safe speeds. I've hit only .81g's and it felt totally safe. The brakes have a good feel for both cars. The Z06 has such a force when you really hit them. The engine in the Z06 is totally intoxicating! It is AWESOME. It is so flexible from low revs all the way to where I stopped reving it.
Sorry it wasn't a complete impression as I'm still breaking the car in. I'll post some updates as I get more mileage on the car.
I'm going to do headers and an air intake. It should take it to 560-565hp. Dynos on totally stock Z06s are showing about 540-545hp (yes they're underrated from the factory). Add in a computer tune and they're making close to 500rwhp! (588hp at the crank). There's also a tag on the engine you can cross reference the numbers and find out who built the engine (each one is hand assembled in Michigan).

Thanks for the review ! Keep posting and enjoy your new ride