Budster:
Spyderidol:

Very nice review!

Is it?  

Forgive me for sounding defensive (I'm really not - I have no doubt that I will get a 991 in 5,6, or maybe 10 years) but to suggest that the 997 is "comical" in comparison to the 991 is disingenuous to say the least.  

Was the 993 comical in comparison to the 997? (I'm missing out the 996 to avoid confusion here.)

Most people (even on this forum) wouldn't come close to being able to extract the most out of either car (i.e. a decent semi-pro driver could probably beat most of us around a track in a 964...) and most of us wouldn't actually care - we buy cars to enjoy the experience, not to see how fast we can go from A to B to the nearest second.

Did you guys realise that the 997 was such a bad car - a "comical" car?Smiley  Should we all trade our 997s in for something less "comical", now that our knowledgeable hack has pointed out what a disaster it was?  (I wonder if one day he'll pronounce that the 991 is still comically rear-engined..?)  

Comical is a silly word to use - and enough to make it a pretty dull article, considering that apart from the weight question (which has already been raised, as they point out themselves), they add nothing to what's already been said.

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

The writer engaged in a bit of hyperbole to better illustrate an opinion (ala Clarkson).  I understand that some 997 owners would get their knickers in a twist, but lets not gutter the whole review because of a "controversial" choice of a word. I enjoyed reading it, so for me, it was a nice review.

I also learned that the increase in wheelbase was Motorsport driven, which for me is a good thing, considering the "difficulties" that the 997RSR was experiencing against its opposition.