WAY:

That is a real interesting one.  In the wet, the M3's sharper throttle response and relative lack of torque was an advantage as you can modulate the power better.  But outright grip they are very similar, but M3 will pull out of slow corners better.  1M though has sharper turn in and is better at change of direction presumably due to the shorter wheelbase (?).  All in all, the two cars are similar yet different (due to the different engine characteristics and wheelbase), but I would be happy with either!  The emphasis is more on fun with the 1M on the road, whereas the M3 feels much more mature on the road.  On the track though the M3 changes its character and becomes just as fun as the 1M through the changing of settings.  The M3 has the jekyll and hyde personality whereas the 1M is much more one dimensional.  If you are buying a DD and want something that can be a cruiser and luxury car during the week, and turns into a track car on the weekend, then M3 is your car.  If you want fun all the time even at low revs and speed, then 1M is your car.  With the price of the 1M, it is hard to say no to it.

WAY,

Your findings are just spot-on. I attended a Track Day event, about a month ago. One of my friend who has similar driving skills (we had raced in Honda Civic Type-R Cup series together in 2010) was also attended with his 1M. I had a couple of passanger laps with him and it was very obvious that 1M's smaller dimensions help a lot on S-chicans and initial turn-in. Also the Michelin Super Sports he had and my Michelin PS2s were world apart. (My tires @16000 km)

My car oversteers a lot; both on exit of the corners and right-left-right chicanes. The weight transfer was obvious on those 80-90 km/h chicanes; especially with my worn rear tires.

Here is a short video of my frined and during the last 2 laps, he followed me (actually catches up). His car is tuned to around 410 hp and had upgraded brake pads. These were my first laps on an old Circuit which has been revised recently. I couldn't feel comfortable with the tires, so during my first laps my brake points were too early. I couldn't push the brake points as I had understeer problem because of the front tires. During the day my friend with his 1M lapped 1,7 sec faster than me (his second time on the revised Circuit) BUT I had huge fun while sliding around evenif I couldn't clock a good lap time.

My DSC was fully closed during the day. I constantly oversteer but always in control. On the other hand My friend's DSC was always on since he told me that he got too much torque out of the corners and car oversteers a lot evenif the rear tires were 275-size Michelin SS.

Enjoy the video.

--

ONUR

11 E92 M3 CP 

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)