WAY:

I have absolutely no use for an AWD M5.  Where I live, you would have to drive 2 hours up the mountain just to see snow.  I like cars that have the ability for me to step the rears out when I want to be a bit silly and naughty, even if it is just for a very small angle just so I feel the limit of adhesion.  This is why I couldn't own a TTRS.  When I drove it, it was amazingly quick, but I can't do with it what I do with our M3.  Of course, when my wife is the driver, I sometimes worry about the amount of power she has when it starts raining, whether it be in our C63/E63 or M3.  I guess I would worry too with the M5.  With our X5M, it was really just "point and shoot" so I feel it takes away the element of fun. 

I fully respect your choice and fully understand it.  I should have said "for the climate in which I live ....".   Around here, one never knows about rain, snow, ice, whatever.  Not all year long, but often enough to matter.

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT + 2008 Tesla Roadster +2010 Panamera Turbo + 2001 BMW Z8 + 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi +2009 Bentley Arnage T