STRADALE:
Budster: I also don't know why I'm feeling cranky, and I'm not a climate-change denialist, but I've decided that I'll help the planet in other ways, not with my car.  I see my mpg as a target - the worse it is, the more fun I'm having...

EXACTLY! Smiley Well said..... Smiley And that is coming from a "denialist" Smiley "Man made Global Warming" denier that is, climate changes naturally,,,,, always,,,,,, no denying that...

STRADALE, I'm not a denialist (I'm not sure if you were referring to yourself or had mis-read my thread?) - as I'm not a scientist, and although I'm a keen cynic, in this debate I've decided to outsource my belief to the publication I trust the most: The Economist.

The Economist accepts global warming, and accepts that it is "very likely" that man has "contributed" to global warming.  So I'm happy to turn off the lights I'm not using, etc etc, but life is too short to give up everything.

Having slept on it, I'm a bit more relaxed on the auto-start, as the fact that it can be switched off (IF it turns out to be annoying) just goes to show that Porsche are playing the game with the politicians perfectly well.  They are progressing science and technology along with other manufacturers that will "most likely" help the planet for the vast majority of people who are happy to save mpg, whilst allowing us guys to get to the garden centre quicker to buy our trees for the tree-planting session at the kids' school.  (The fold down back seats are specially designed for tree-planting ceremony logistics).

Let's be thankful that the politicians and car manufacturers (and their powerful global lobby) are playing the game so cleverly - otherwise there is no reason why cars are not all already fitted with GPS devices to limit top speeds to 60km/hr in urban areas and 100km/hr elsewhere.  The Nissan GTR already has this technology that un-limits the delimiter when it arrives at a track!  The GPS is already fitted in all our cars, and some new cars allow parents to limit speeds for their kids' cars - so if it wasn't for the game they're playing, the sportscar would be dead already.

So a little switch is fine...

--

Isn't it time you got yourself a !waytag?   www.waytag.com