Porsche 991 GT3 rumoured to be mid-engined layout...

rosenbergendo:

"Just got back from Daytona ... managed to corner one of the higher ups of Porsche motorsport and he was open with 991 info. He saw my car and I started asking him about the 991 GT3 cup and then going on to what he knew about the street car. What he told me is the following...

1. 9A1 motor for sure with 480 hp for GT3
  2. PDK-S (he used this term twice) which has been tested with the 9A1 for over 4 years he claims
  3. Weight loss of 180-200 lbs through use of composites
  4. Aboslutely no hybrid tech.He said specifically it doesnt fit the GT3 motif
  5. Confirmed no more Gt1 (Mezger) block after GT3 RS LE (he confirmed 4.0 RSR motor)
  6. Stressed the move of the motor forward essentially making the car a mid-engine car, even though Porsche will never call it one. He says this will make the car more balanced..."

These rumours of the 991 GT3 specification and potential "mid-engined" layout reminded me of some earlier spy shots of a 991 GT3 mule...

...these spy shots were rumoured to show Porsche testing a road version of the GT3 R Hybrid...

...but maybe that's just what the GT3 test mule was intended to imitate?

If the 991 GT3 does include a more "mid-engined" layout, as rumoured, then the spy shots could be Porsche testing additional cooling for the 991 GT3 engine situated further forward than in earlier generations...

So maybe Andreas Preuninger and his team of elite Weissach motorsport engineers have decided that a "mid-engined" layout is the future of Porsche Motorsport? 

The commentary from the Eurosport team at Le Mans dropped a strong hint that future Porsche racers at Le Mans would indeed be mid-engined...

...looking forward to Chris Harris video of Porsche's next Le Mans racer!

Smiley SmileySmiley SmileySmiley