Funny fact: When I was looking for my first Porsche more than 13 years ago, I actually fell in love with a 968 CS. The sales person didn't have one in stock but a very attractive (extremely low price for this car) brand new but previous model year 993 Targa.

I wasn't too much into the 911, actually couldn't care less, especially since I had outran several 911 in the past in my BMW M3 Coupe and Lancia Delta HF Integrale but the sales person insisted that the 911 is the only true Porsche, so I went for it. 

A test drive wasn't possible, I badly needed a new car (M3 was sold), so I bought the 993 Targa without even driving it before. What a huge mistake, when I first drove the car (remember: I was still used to the 286 hp M3 Coupe, which was a milestone at that time regarding high power sports cars...power-wise and price-wise), I hated it. Not that I didn't like it, I hated it. It felt like an old car, it drove like an old car, it handled like an old car, horrible. After a while I started getting used to it and I kind of liked the sound of the engine and the direct steering but everything else was kind of disappointing, I wasn't surprised that Porsche was in financial trouble. Things changed for me with the 996: I wanted to give Porsche another (and last) try, so I went for the first 996 Carrera on the market. What a huge difference: It finally felt and drove like a modern car but unfortunately it was one of the most unreliable Porsche I ever owned. 

Long story short: The Cayman is a good Porsche but...well ...but it is no 911. Unfortunately every bit of this says: I want to be a 911 but I didn't eat enough vitamins or my parents didn't invest too much time and money into my education...whatever. The Cayman needs it's own identity but I doubt it is going to happen like it is now and with this name. Why not call the Cayman 356 again...or any other famous number from Porsche's past? This could actually make a difference. They also need to change the roof line, make it look less 911-ish.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW