My gut feeling is that this is really an afterthought - PAG has seen that the GTS has been a major sales hit - since it is a great package at a great price - so, having marketed the GTS as having a widebody without AWD, they thought they could make yet more money by rolling out an AWD version - even though this somewhat contradicts indirectly the earlier marketing for the RWD GTS.

At the end of the day, it's a chance to make money - and one can't blame them for doing that in this economic situation - PAG is just milking every last drop out of the 997. When I say this, I think of the following: 911 Sport Classic, Centurion Edition, Speedster, GTS, Black Edition, 918 Spyder Edition TTS etc etc.

The above special edition 911s are really option packages (mostly). The one that really stands out as being something much more is the 997 GT3 RS 4.0. That car is way beyond being just an option package.

Honestly, the 997 cash cow will have really earned its retirement once they finally let the poor thing out to graze

But now, with so many limited edition 911 special models, it's reached the stage where it really feels like they are using high pressure vacuum suction to extract even micro-drops of milk out of this particular cow's udder

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection