Heist:

And while the 911 T S is fractions faster, it's magnitudes more expensive. The $70K you would save could be put into upgrades. The $5,000 chip upgrade/secondary computer that's floating around - this alone would make the GT-R a thrasher of many much more expensive machines.

In the US, without our Autobahn speeds, this might work but in Germany, this would be a clear path to disaster. Good GT-R engine mods with TÜV approval are pretty seldom and not really cheap over here, so I would actually prefer the 997 Turbo S instead of pumping another 30000-40000 EUR into a car which probably looses 30-40% of it's value immediately after putting a license plate to it. It doesn't make sense.

Another problem in Germany: only a couple of specialized Nissan dealers are allowed to sell and service this car. I really don't want to drive 70 km to my next dealer, there are only 11 authorized dealers in Germany. I also doubt that a Nissan dealer over here, who sells Micra and whatever low budget cars, has the necessary skills to deal with high expectation customers like me. I also wonder if they can actually service the GT-R properly because to be honest, a mechanic who services Micras and other low budget cars, couldn't care less about the expectations of the owner of a 93000+ EUR car.

I don't say that Porsche is perfect, on the contrary but I would only consider buying the GT-R if I were desperate (or didn't have the money to get a 997 Turbo/S).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW