GM Austin:

Your perception of the differences in handling is interesting.  Is it really true that there is a difference in the suspension setup among the various powertrain choices, apart from the choice of air-suspension or other suspension options?  You believe the V6 suspension is mediocre, the V8 suspension somewhat more sporty and the Turbo suspension is on a par with the 911 TT?  I too have noticed differences among various Cayenne models, but what I have noticed I could always attribute to the suspension options on that particular car.  As to sportiness, I found the less expensive steel sprung Cayenne to be more responsive than the PASM setup.  In fact the Porsche Sport Driving classes in Birmingham, AL used steel sprung Cayennes for the racetrack and PASM models for the off-road training. 

The V6 and S I drove both did not have PASM and still the S felt more planted, the 6 was leaning way too much on turns. The CTT handling is not the same as a 997 TT obviously but it is close and much better than a lot of other sport car brands, when you press both sport buttons (engine and suspension) and you lower the car, the CTT hunkers down and drives almost like a sports car and it actually looks funny doing that because of the lowered height.

Adding options to improve the handing of the V6 like PASM and larger/wider wheels will bring the price closer to the S and thats why I ruled out the V6 since I hated how it leaned on turns and disliked the average braking feeling as well. The S was ruled out after I experienced the accleration of the CTT and I am usually not easily impressed.

My opinion is that the new S is the best compromise of peformance and cost, not the V6.

--

2011 CTT

2005 F430

2010 Audi S5