easy_rider911:

And the strangest story I came across today concerns HRT's plan to sue Karun Chandok for failing to fulfil the obligations in his contract

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6658613/Hispania-set-to-sue-Chandhok

What a bizarre story ... What could those obligations be that they are worth suing Chandok over?  It must be financial in nature - did he promise to bring sponsorship as a precondition for his drive? He doesn't have much money of his own anyway so I don't see what the point is of suing him

Either appearance obligations but more likely than not, financial obligations. The smaller teams essentially "sell" their seat to the driver in exchange for the revenue they proportedly say they can bring to the team. At times this is corporate sponsors. At times this is private funding. I even remember hearing something about drivers being government subsidized - that is a national government kicks money over to the team.

I'm more shocked that they gave a seat to Narain

Hispania confirmed last week that Indian Narain Karthikeyan will take one of their seats next year, but they are yet to decide on their number two driver.

You've got to be kidding me? Has this guy ever NOT crashed into or out of an F! race? Watching him use the car as some sort of guided Scud missile became painful after awhile.

I'll say one thing, the politics of F1 gets a little tiresome. It's no wonder why so many great drivers leave the sport and don't look back on it with any level of regret.

--

...the only thing stopping you in all likelihood, is you!