Quite a few 993 Speedsters have been built from 964 spare parts, based on the convertible models. Here is a very nice example on Rennlist. I agree that it is a model Porsche left out on the 993 lineup and I can only assume that they did not assume enough interest for it.

I find the 997 Speedster to be a very good idea to start with but lately Porsche focusses more on marketing than on substance. Just as on the Cayman R, I would appreciate a different name as it does not carry anything over from previous models than the two-seater layout and the lowered silhouette. Despite weight saving components the car is just as heavy as a regular Carrera S convertible and I stick to my belief that enough people would´ve appreciated a more basic approach, relying on an entirly manually operated roof mechanism, stripped out interior with manual gearbox and basic radio, an a/c delete option etc. Let the customer decide whether he wants the full comfort or a minimalistic car.

That said, I do have to say that the pricetag on the Speedster is easier to justify than on the Sport Classic.