racerx:

I paid 10,200. when I ordered my Mustang GT from the factory in 86, so I agree with you about what has happened with prices.

However I think the performance is not that far apart especially for the new Mustang Boss with the laguna handling package or an SS that has had a little engine/suspension work.

But the bottom line is that the Camaro SS is a better looking car than a non ZR-1 corvette imo and many other people's too. And looks is the number 1 consideration in most decisions.

Performance is WAY off compared to a vette (don't fool yourself).  These cars are almost 1000lbs heavier than a Corvette and that makes all the difference in the world.  If you like the looks, I can't argue with that point, but no handling package is going to help this car touch a Corvette on a road course. 

It's mantra is the 1/4 mile and it only does this in 13.0 seconds.  0-60 is 4.9 seconds, both are way off compared to a Vette.  Maybe this is more in line with an M3 or base 911.  A base vette will easily pull low 12 second times and 0-60 in 4 seconds flat all while pulling a solid 1G on the skid pad.

Don't get me wrong, I like both these cars, just don't understand GM's price points.  I always thought that is what killed these car originally (kids could no longer afford them).  These cars use to be targeted to the 20 somethings, but not many 20 somethings can afford a $38k car.

With that said, my 1993 5.0 was a great car and I have many fond memories.  It was cheap, fast, relaible, and easy to modify.