Quote:
yah said:
I followed this whole Tiptronic 997 TT discussion. However it became more and more stupid the past months and it is really strange that the car gets all this negativity.

Thus: yes, I dare it, I admit it,
I think that the 997 TT is a fantastic piece of technology and the delivered results are great. Porsche did it again. (yes i am a 996 X50 turbo owner and no I am not on a list for 997 TT yet; so I do not fall into the categories for being too biased towards or against the car.).

Of course Porsche might have give the car some more horsepower. Because they could. But there was obviously no reason for it. But anyway, this car is great. The powerkit and TT S will be even greater.

Some still do not seem to understand what the VTG is, what it does and what that acually means. The VTG delivers a lot of torque early above idle revs. This has never been before. And this has great implications. Many pros did not like turbo cars as they are difficult to drive fast on a track. In a curve you always loose pressure and after the curve you get the power somewhat delayed. Alternatively, you try to maintain pressure in the curve but then you need to have high revs during the curves. Consequently you have to shift right after a curve, also not good.
But now, VTG nihilates this problem

And the VTG brings a great benefit for the Tiptronic. The tiptronic has the big advantage that it KNOWS that you are going to shift and what is coming next (you pressed the button and you still have the foot on the throttle). Therefore, it never loses the pressure and never loses the torque during the shifts That is something that no one can achieve in a manual car. During shifts you lose power and torque (unless you powershift without releasing the clutch). Therefore the tip now accelerates faster.
Some mentioned here that even in a manual Porsche should have included somekind of "preboost". But how should this be possible? The poor car does not know that you are going to shift. You might just release the clutch to stop on the next traffic light. How should the car create the necessary boost? We are still talking an exhaust turbo and not a compressor; the only way is to keep high revs. You cannot just automatically rev up when you press the clutch. This reallyy would be nice for accidents, clutch abuse and mileage...

The VTG brings us to the great advantage that cars with Tiptronic or PDK can now keep turbo pressure and torque during shifts. This applies to Tiptronic and PDK. And this is the main advantage why the tiptronic brings this great acceleration values we see. And therefore the VTG is a true gem in innovation.

I may be wrong, but my guess is that this time the new Turbo with the Tiptronic will also deliver great times on race tracks, probably some verrry gooood results. Better as the manual...now what.

So everyone has to decide what he wants. If you want the faster car, you have to go for Tiptronic. If you want to be more involved with the physical interaction with the car, go for the manual. But do not blame Porsche that they made this great development and that the outcome is that the Tip is faster. The PDK will be slightly faster and lighter, but I suspect that the benefit compared to the tip not be too big.
But what do I know....

Yah,

Excellent post. Two thoughts:
1. I would think that the pre-boost method of improving Tip (and PDK) performance (preumably by automatically revving the engine during gearchange) would introduce the same potential problem for accidents as in a manual tranny, and rather the difficulty enginering a manual tranny setup with pre-boost is using the clutch engagement/disengagement as the "signal" for revving the engine, similar to a speedshift driving method (and with the VTG's, rev's as low as 2,000rpm's would be sufficient for pre-boost).
2. Your statement that Porsche has "no reason" to give the car more HP seems to be an attempt to justify giving less, but the car's performance figures with the manual tranny (that don't have the pre-boost advantage seen with the Tip)-not much better than a stock 996TTS (and compared to its "competition" like the F430, Lambo Gallardo, and ZO6)-suggest to me that it DOES need more power.

BTW, I note that you have been registered on rennteam since 2003 but have posted only 60 times, and the erudition/intelligence manifested in your recent posts suggests you should post more frequently.

Al