The Q5 is really a nice and small SUV and if you don't travel with lots of luggage, it could be a very good family car.

Since my wife decided she doesn't want to drive longer distances anymore, even a 500 km trip to the south side of Lake Garda in Italy was too annoying for her this year, I think that the X5 M will be our last high power SUV or even SUV. For just one family trip to the mountains per year, I don't need a full sized SUV.

Since I'm thinking about track racing again next year, just for fun with some friends, I might go for a less expensive family car for daily city driving and go for a real fun track car instead, like the 991 GT3 maybe, if I can afford it. So far, I made plans to get a 991 Carrera S, if the performance is as good as our sources indicate but if I can step up to the GT3, it would be great.

Another solution would be getting a Cayenne Turbo S after our X5 M lease runs out in 30 months but I would be stuck again with a high power SUV which I actually wouldn't need anymore. We will fly more and drive less, so a high power SUV wouldn't make that much sense anymore. I can drive a X5 Diesel through the city, I don't need a 555 HP monster to do that.

2012 will be very interesting: my wife's M3 Cab lease runs out and I don't have a fun car at that time anymore. So there will be lots of opportunities to make the right choice.

A family car for over 100000 EUR and with over 500 HP seems to be more and more unlikely by that time. Makes sense I guess if we are going to fly more.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW