No offense meant, I went to school in Switzerland and really like the Swiss but the authorities in  Switzerland are a pain in the a.. most of the time.

Example: many years ago, I drove in a rental to St. Gallen to participate in a small re-union at my older school. Why a rental? Well, my 911 had a transmission problem by that time and I didn't want to get stuck with it in Switzerland. The rental was a Mercedes S-class with the new night vision, distance radar, etc. system. To make a long story short: it had some sensors looking out of the grill and in the front spoiler. At the austrian-swiss border, a guy from swiss customs told me to park the car and that he needs to talk to me. What followed, was a farce. He insisted that I was using an anti-traffic radar system on my car. I showed him the car papers, it was clearly a rental and I told him that this is a new technology. He wouldn't let me enter Switzerland. After almost an hour (!) of arguing back and forth and talking to his colleagues, they took photos of the front of the car, made a copy from my passport and allowed me to drive to St. Gallen. When I started the engine, the very same guy came over and told me in Swiss German, apparently he didn't think I would understand it: "we will get you". I never understood what this fuss was all about until a good friend had a similar problem years later. Only this time, they were right, he had an anti-traffic radar system installed and they detected it AND impounded the car immediately. It took him weeks and a lot of money, incl. a swiss lawyer, to get his car back.

I understand laws are laws but I get the feeling that swiss authorities take themselves a little bit more serious than others in Europe. I was able to "escape" fines for speeding from Italy, France and many other countries by just being nice and apologetic. I doubt this would work in Switzerland.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW