Exact same thing here in Spain, its actually ilegal to be on the left lane unless you are overtaking someone on the right lane, once you finish overtaking you should move back to the right lane... but still you have morons who are clueless about traffic around them or rules and hog the left lane as if its just another lane, usually people who are unable to use their mirrors to control the traffic around them, people who don't pay attention or their driving skills are substandard, people who think nobody should drive faster than them, etc... the problem is that the police don't really enforce that law enough, there is more money in speeding fines I guess Smiley

And the closer you are to a bigger city the worse it is. Interestingly, in noticed that in Portugal the tend to move over more when you come up behind them on the left lane.

I find Spain one of the most pleasant driving environment in Europe. It has very light traffic, relax cops and good roads. Things are different when I got closer to Barcelona. 

--

www.youtube.com/watch