Woolfe:

Dreamcar,

Have you driven a 997?  If you have i would be interested in your impressions?

Hi Woolfe

I did have a loaned 997.1 C2S a few years ago, and loved the performance and the more masculine sound of the engine (that car had PSE). However it felt marginally less precise and a shade more cumbersome than the Boxster. Perhaps that's due to lack of familiarity of the 997 way of doing things. With the engine in the "Wrong Place"  Smiley and less weight on the front wheels that can only be expected. (I know wait to get flamed)! Smiley 

I have also had a very brief drive of the 997.2 C2S PDK and felt similar to the above, not surprisingly, but was very impressed with the speed of the PDK 'box. However in "Normal' mode the upshifts were very early and left to its own devices the upshift revs were at almost diesel like revs."Sport" mode was ideal, with quicker shifts at higher revs. "Sport Plus" I found unsuitable for road use, the box hanging on to high revs more than ideal before changing up. In thes hort time I drove the car I couldn't get used to the steering wheel "switches" although I guess it gets familiar with use - counter intuitive and clumsy in operation.

The Boxster Spyder I drove at a recent Silverstone driver event, complete with that gorgeous new wheel with "proper" paddles was an absolute revelation, loved the car and PDK. I'd probably go for a Boxster S in the real world with it's much better soft top. I'd love to try a 997.2 PDK with that new wheel, I'm sure it would be a huge improvement, as others on here who have retrofitted it have attested.  

--
Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon