reginos:
RC:

The competition is getting tougher for Porsche simply because they didn't hear the bell ring in time. When Porsche introduced the 993 Turbo, they shocked the competition. Never happened again and more and more cars are getting faster than Porsche cars, beating them in their most precious domains.

My suggestion for Porsche: wake up before it is too late.

More cars are becoming faster, true! But how much faster can cars become in today's world? Today's Turbo makes the 993 Turbo look like a tractor, so Porsche made huge progress but other manufacturers have proportionately improved their products too. The emphasis nowadays is on efficiency, CO2, km/liter etc.Cars generally have loads of speed that normal buyers have no chance to use, so why invest more on ways to gain that extra 1/10sec to 200km/h?

Maybe, 0-200km/h time is relevant for a very small % of buyers who either don't care about the Law or spend too many days on tracks. If you ask me the relevance of these numbers are only for discussions in coffee shops and internet forums. The vast majority of people buy on the basis of image and marketing. What is the point of someone (like an affluent woman) to drive an AMG SL or a Turbo cabrio when he or she would never go above 150km/h? It's a statement of wealth and nothing to do with speed. I have begun taking a cynical approach to cars in recent years.

While I tend to agree with the broader picture you describe, it has to be said that sports cars (thats the cars we usually talk about here) serve a purpose beyond getting people from A to B - to entertain, to showcase engineering excellence, to perform in car racing etc.