fritz:
MKSGR:
Ferdie:
MKSGR:

Thus, my logic is: if revs don't drop boost pressure should not drop either, right?

Boost pressure is rather linked to throttle input than RPM.

Just checked it: if you keep the throttle fully pressed on up-shifts boost pressure still goes down a bit - but significantly less than if you release the throttle while changing gears.

Can anybody with a more in-depth knowledge tell whether keeping the throttle pressed on upshifts might do any harm to the engine? My assumption is that the rev limiter prevents any damage (if not it would not work properly as its function is to immediately cut-off gas supply if the rev limit is exceeded) Smiley

The rev limiter protects the engine, but you are still putting higher loads on the gearbox's synchronizers and on the clutch than would otherwise be the case.

Many thanks for the answer Smiley Would you expect a significantly smoother (i.e. more linear) acceleration using the "do not release throttle" technique or would you rather expect similar acceleration performance as in the "release throttle" scenario Smiley I.e. is the method suitable to improve lap times (at the cost of higher clutch and synchronizer wear)?