ISUK:

Kreso,

You sound like your 458 order is under real  threat of cancellation

It believe the MP4 12C will arguably make life much more difficult for Lamborghini than Ferrari. The Maranello brand has it's own special allure but for those people buying a car for outright performance the Mclaren will be hard to ignore. I'm guessing there will be a lot of concerned faces in Italy right about now but more of them will be at Sant'agata. I don't detect the same kind of brand loyalty amongst the new generation of Lamborghini owners for whom many it seems more of a fashion statement than an emotive driving purchase.

I wonder what's Ferdinand Piech's response will be by way of giving Lamborghini more VW group resources to ensure greater firepower for the Gallardo's replacement. It seems they are able to turn up the wick on the R8 at will (V10 variant, forthcoming GT3 style variant etc) so need to do something special with the next small Lambo to prevent their more fickle customers deserting the brand.

Mclaren are certainly streets ahead in terms of weight reduction but considering they use turbos to get their HP output versus Ferraris NA route the engine isn't as far ahead in power terms as it might have been.

Iain,

I still like 458 very much and I am very much keen to get it. New MP4-12C is also on my list...

Just... New McLaren MP4-12C is in few important areas better car IMHO:

-overall MP4-12C will be as good for normal usage as 458 Italia

-MP4-12C design is just right IMHO, 458 Italia is excellent design-BUT, IMHO some things are strange looking

-enginewise MP4-12C is true masterpiece

..and I agree with you fully that most MP4-12C costumers will come from Gallardo/R8 V10 stable. Ferrari costumers are very brand loyal(even little bit too much IMHO).

My question is WHAT IF new MP4-12C beats 458 Italia in every performace aspect(acceleration, track times, driver involvement, sheer drive dynamic etc.)? What will then be a key element for choosing 458 Italia? Fact that it is a FERRARI?

McLaren used two examples of 458 for comparison and they are VERY confident that MP4-12C is better sportscar in areas I mentioned above...

IMHO we all can applaud to McLaren for bringging this sportcar to the market. Game is moved to another level. Competitors must react with new products in future...

P.S.

Are you still plan to get MP4-12C as well?