Quote:
U Boat Commander said:
Quote:
taffy said:
Quote:
U Boat Commander said:
Quote:
JMShrink said:

I really don't think that some here care what I think at this point. Anyways, I want more road feel than what normal mode of PASM offers, EVEN WITH the "active" factor. The sport mode is not to my liking. I like the base suspension. It's a good blend of comfort and sportiness. IMO, I think PASM is more of a gimmick than anything else. It's not really necessary. Sometimes less is more..

I agree. The normal (comfort mode) is too soft for a Porsche 911. I would have preferred either (i) a comfort mode that is more similar to the base 997 suspension or (ii) a middle setting on PASM that is more similar to the base 997 suspension. I've taken a liking to the sport suspension because the car is just on rails with the sport setting, even though you really can't use it much on normal roads. But the comfort mode is just too soft. I can't tell you how many times I've been in comfort mode and wanted to make a quick sporty move with the car (without time to switch to sport mode) only to be disappointed. It's like driving a Mercedes SL.

The standard suspension setup on a scale from 1-10 is about 5......the PASM in comfort mode is generally about 3 or 4 and will firm up to about 7 when the need arises ........making it firmer than standard.

In sport mode it is almost always 10 sometimes lessening to about 8 if needed.

By having this sliding scale it covers all bases for the majority of normal drivers ......

I have had the sports suspension on previous porsches and have found it to be great on smooth roads but a real PITA on any rougher roads.......

Bit of a bugger if PASM is crap as it is on the new 997 Turbo and the GT3 .......do you really think that Porsche would jeopardise their flagships reputation by putting inferior suspension on them........no nor do i.

This topic reminds me of an article i read regarding the GT3 brakes....

there were lots of complaints from amateur drivers saying that the GT3 brakes were poor and could not withstand trackday abuse........

Porsches answer: If Walter Rohrl can Track the GT3 all day long and have no problems with the braking system then it must be inferior driving that is cooking the brakes... can't argue with that now can we.

The PASM is a good system are you a good enough driver to get the best from it .....probably not....

Give me a break Taffy. I've been driving a 911 for 10 years. I think I know what I am talking about. For you to imply that I am not a good driver when you don't even know me shows your insecurity and lack of class. Get a life.

Sorry if i chose my words with lack of thought..

Try not to take this all so personally........

I too have owned 911's and boxsters and Cayennes for the past 10 years (quite a nice lifestyle too thank you)..i consider myself to be a competent driver but in no way qualified enough to berate a system developed with the input and experience of professional drivers...

Just because you have driven 911's for a period of time does not make you an expert in the intracacies of suspension set-up......yes you know what you like and don't like but just because you don't like it does not make the system inferior to the standard spring and damper configuration...

Now to get back on topic .....as has all aready been mentioned, the -20mm sports setup with lsd is probably the best option for ultimate handling but, for daily use and i mean the 95pc of the time when the car is driven normally .....the -20mm setup is too hard and does not allow the driver to enjoy the car on normal road surfaces ie:less than perfect.

In an ideal world i would have the -20mm and lsd but, i much prefer the PASM as it does give me the ride qualities i require on UK roads......