How much one is prepared to pay for intangibles is the great marketing question.  It depends on many aspects of course, and is a trade-off for the car manufacturer between volume and profit, where one always goes for the perceived sweet spot.

Porsche clearly has changed marketing perspective, it has launched  the 997TTS at the same time as the TT knowing that most buyers would be tempted rather than see this a an end of cycle niche product, the Panamera prices £15-20.000 above what I would expect, and the Cayenne is now in the same price premium sphere.

The reality is that this game used to be played by the big Euro players before the Japanese came and offered all these expensive options in the price (who EVER heard of having to pay for carpets on a luxury car).  There is no one targeting Porsche really, but then again no one expected Lexus to be where it has reached in the USA either.

My money is that the WAG group is becoming so crowded that they are starting to differentiate themselves internally more than within their new market niche:

1- SUV: Touareg is very expensive but at least does not have the range of options and engines that push the prices even higher like Porsche.  Porsche is now at RR levels rather than RRS which is cheaper and a more direct competitor, let alone X5, ML and Q7.  Once RR updates that shape they could have serious problems as their interior is now very good, same for the ML if MB makes the effort.

2- Panamera: it would be better if (a) the beetle shape was more exotic on the bulbuous back and (b) you could get a 5 seater, but with a stated aim of 20.000 cars failure should not cost much.  Still no one seems to be raving about it.  By the way the financing rate assumes a balloon of £30k, whereas a GT3 would have over £50k.

There is 1 major aspect though that might tip the balance, by gunning so high they might try and stop the catastrophic depreciation curve of both cars: by having a different class of 1st buyer and boosting their perceived image through a "more difficult to attain" purchase, it could do the trick.  I would not bet on it for the Cayenne, and the leasing offers on the Panamera speak for themselves.  Having said that Porsche in the UK apparently hoovered the Cayennes during the down cycle last year in order to maintain prices, it could certainly do the same on the Panameras.