nberry: How long can Porsche push the engineering and not the styling angle to sell cars?

For as long as there are buyers like me who value the engineering more than superficial styling, and judging by the success of the 911, we are more and more with each generation of 911, so they have no reason to change.

In sportcars, any company can play the styling angle, its the engineering one that seperates the men form the boys and you play the styling angle when you don't have the engineering one.

Also this 918 spyder has an excellent design but that not all about this car, if we know Porsche, the best will be in the inside, and the styling is a bonus. And this is no 911 substitute or rival, this is a GT1-CGT sucessor, for the CGT, Pagani, Koenigsegg, Veyron, Enzo, etc crowd. Nothing wrong with those companies building those cars that are only at the reach of 99,9...%. Good for those that can affort one.

I know you were looking foward to a similar car from Porsche at a lower price range closer to a 458 for example, but this is not it, and Porsche doesn't seem to be in that path. There are other fine companies that are, the 458 looks to be a fantastic car. Who knows, maybe after this car is produced there may be a lower priced spin off version but I doubt it, when they have the 911 that is more sucessfull and profitable than all its rivals.

--