At age 20, I owned a Lancia Delta HF Integrale 8V, a couple of months later the 16V.

The first one had 260 HP, the second one almost 300 HP (water injection, larger turbo charger, larger intercooler, etc.). This was in 1985...there was almost no car on the market, especially not in that price range, to be able to outrun this little baby.

Vmax was only around 215-225 kph but the tuned 16V did 0-100 kph in around 5.3 seconds. 1985. 

For a short time, around 1988 or so, I owned a heavily modded Toyota Celica 4WD. Power output was around 260 HP...in 1988. 21 years ago, this meant something.

My 996 Turbo has been heavily modded by RS-Tuning...around 560 HP on the paper, around 580 HP (engine dyno !) in reality.

My 997 Turbo currently outruns from 0-300 kph any stock Porsche available... 

The Cayenne Turbo S has 521 HP stock, top speed (GPS measured) is 274 kph, around 287 on the speedo. I really drive this speed very often in summertime.

My wife's BMW M3 Cab has the M driver package, it is "delimited" to 280 kph. I drive this speed too very often in summer time.

Bottom line is: yes, I know I'm getting old but I also know that if I want to enjoy these cars, I need to do it NOW because 20 years later, things may change, even earlier.

I'm not too interested in top speed but acceleration. Torque indeed is important but it gives a false feeling of power and performance. A Golf Turbodiesel feels powerful but in reality, this car is very slow. I don't need the feel, I actually really need the performance.

If somebody thinks that I need it for traffic light races or any other dumb things, you're wrong. I usually only race motorcycles with my 997 Turbo, this is the only thing left because cars usually have not the slightest chance.   In my family car(s), I usually drive fast and avoid provocative situations because I don't want to put my family in danger, I'm old enough to know when it is time to slow down and let others pass. It happens to me all the time, especially when driving the Cayenne but apparently some younger so called sportscar drivers don't realize that this truck does 0-100 kph in 5.2 and 0-200 kph in 17.9 seconds.

Bottom line is: I enjoy my cars while I can and I can only do that if they have "satisfactory" power. The Mini Cooper S for example is like a toy car for me, this is why it sometimes is fun because I really can push it to the limit. With the 997 Turbo, I would need a huge airfield to do that.

Like I said: Daddy needs fun...before he gets too old to enjoy this. 

Btw: do you know my "nickname" amongst other (younger) drivers ? "Undercover Daddy". Now go figure out why. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW