Carlos from Spain:
ALDO:

After testing the Panamera and going back to my 997 turbo, you don´t need to be an expert to feel the difference. But on Schwarzwald twisty roads I doubt a "normal" driver can be faster with the 997 turbo. Just my opinion I didn´t do a real test.

AM

I think you are both right, a normal driver may not be able to be much faster with the 997TT, true, but the difference Markus and I are referring to is more about driving enjoyment and feel, not objective performance, and there the difference is significant, one drives clearly like a sportcar and the other like a sporty limo, its not a hybrid of some sort.

The feeling one gets depends on how and where one's travels takes one.  Autobahn?  B roads?  Mountain switchbacks?  Race course?  Grocery mart?  Dining or theater?  All?

What kind of feeling is desirable or achievable?  Does a low lap time on circuit define it against all other traits?  Is it confident handling on a unknown, challenging road at 8 tenths.  Is it a feeling of immense safety margin over more humble demands?  Is it the feeling of control over the road surface when the car does exactly as it is bidden and not as it wants?

When I drove the Panamera on California "mountain" roads last August, it gave the me feeling of being in better control of the outcome than any sedan I had ever driven and quite close to a number of high-performance 2-seaters.  In some more relaxed freeway flying last week, I came to appreciate the immense straight-line stability and the feeling of absolute dominance over the pavement's worst irregularities.  Each one of these traits adds to the overall feeling of a superlative car that I find lacking to one degree or another in other vehicles in its class.

Is it the best 4-door in existence?  I really don't know, but it has to be among the mix at the very top.

Once one adds the hatch back to the mix it means I can drive one of the best 4-doors on the planet and replace my SUV.  How bad is that?

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT - Signal Yellow + 2008 Tesla Roadster - Thunder Gray +1972 BMW 3.0 CSi - Nachtblau +2009 Bentley Arnage T - Black Saphire