You guys know very well that my opinion of Alonso is that, purely as a driver, I think he is one of the best and most complete drivers in F1 today. However, on a personal level, I think he has many bad characteristics.

I am no loyal fan of Lewis Hamilton nor of McLaren. I think I am neutral and unbiased.

Perhaps some of Alonso's Spanish fans need to ask themselves how neutral and unbiased they are when judging Alonso and his competitors. In my view, Alonso's loyal Spanish fans often have a point of view that I cannot agree with. I suspect it is because different parts of the F1 fan world read different types of media reporting.

As for the 'teflonso' nickname that Martin Brundle has coined for Alonso. It is because, despite being in the middle of various scandals (e.g. espionage at McLaren, the fixed race at Singapore etc) none of the mud sticks to him.

I would not defend usage of this nickname on TV. Although I think there is a basis for thinking it, it is IMO deeply unprofessional for Martin Brundle to use an insulting nickname about Alonso on live TV. Personally, I think Martin Brundle should apologise. It should be his private thought only - not something he shares with millions of TV viewers around the world.

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection