cannga:
Eunice:

Thank you very much cannga for these insights.

1. Do I understand it correctly that tire width controls the width of the contact area but reduces the length so the total area stays the same?

2. Tire pressure influences the total area then?

3. And what about tire size (radius)?

Eunice, thanks. Please don't use the word insight -- it embarrasses me. I am actually reading as I type the answer Smiley. I could be wrong. 

1. Yes, within reasons, I think the basic idea is that wider tire has a wider contact patch, but the patch is shorter, such that the total area stays more or less the same.

2. Definitely tire pressure influences total area. Deflation = more contact area. Assuming again, tires of similar construction; I don't imagine Run Flat Tire changes as much as normal tire for example.

3. Hmm, don't know about this one. Anyone?

>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=10

The shape of a tire's contact patch or "footprint" greatly influences its performance and is dependent on its profile or "aspect ratio". Low profile tires (most performance tires) have a short and wide contact patch that is effective in converting the driver's input into very responsive handling, cornering stability and traction...especially on dry roads.

High profile tires (light truck and most passenger tires) have a long and narrow contact patch which helps to provide predictable handling, a smooth ride and especially good traction in snow.

--

Regards,
Can
997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

High profile, narrower tires have better traction in snow because they make more contact w/ the road during snow, it's easier for them to go through the snow to reach the pavement, where as the wide tire sits more on top of the snow because of it's greater surface area which distributes more weight hence less contact w/ the pavement.. But you cant use that situation as it applies to dry pavement driving.  

--

08 PORSCHE Turbo Cabriolet, 06 Ferrari F430,  04 Durango HEMI,  04 Harley Davidson Screamin Eagle,  93 Harley Davidson Nostalgia