easy_rider911:

I assume it is because: (1) the paddles would always be in the same place (2) it's what people are used to on other cars (3) it wouldn't involve 'searching' for the paddles if one is in mid-turn but where one's hands are no longer in the '10 to 2' position.

At the end of the day, it just comes down to what people are used to IMHO...

Yes to all points. And no one has mentioned this and I could be off, but just from looking at the pictures I see another problem: the new moving PDK paddles are different from the previous PDK buttons in an important way. Here is why:

1. The previous PDK buttons move with steering wheel, but up and down shift are in both buttons and are the same motion, forward for one shift, backward for the other. You can't choose the "wrong" button because both function similarly.

2. The new PDK paddles move with the steering wheel, but down shift is in one paddle and up is in the other. I see great potential for mis-shifting as they move around and one loses track of their position.

So of the 3 choices:
a. Fixed paddles
b. Moving buttons
c. Moving paddles

C might actually be the WORST possible combination of all the features Smiley. I guess we'll see what the reviewers have to say.

paddle.jpg

1249679025035pdk button.jpg
--

Regards,
Can
997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )