Adam2S:

Well I can put this one to bed forever!!!!

Following several questions about the loudness of the new GT3 I asked him was if it was OK to disconnect about the brown plug to make it even louder. Andreas stated that it was absolutely fine to do so (on both GT3 and Carrera's) and caused no damage whatsoever to the engine - he even showed us how to do it on a 997 GT3 mk1 parked next to the mk2. He however pointed out that the alternative method of disconnecting the vaccum hose was extreemly bad for the engine as it damaged the integrity of the vaccum system which was used for other critical functions!

So there you have it - couldnt get much more of a definiative statement really. The head of GT car production says its safe to pull the brown plug but very bad to disconnect the vaccum hose.

Woah woah - hold your horses... you can't suddenly come up with a statement that definitive and that totally conclusive..

There are many of us who have used the 'hose method' for several years without any problems whatsoever.  This needs a closer examination.

So, I've re-read this entire thread and here are some salient points....

The thread starts on 3rd May 2005 with RC's initial 'Hose Method' (along with the necessary disclaimers)  This is very well received and responded to.

It's not until 9th July 2005 that a member, 996 Cal, brings an alternative method (The Orange Plug) to our attention.

On 7th August 2005, SoCal Alan is the first to enquire as to what the difference is between the two methods. He gets very little response.

On 30th August 2005, Dillinger said he thought the plug method could cause problems.

On the same date (30th August 2005), Carlos from Spain said he preferred the hose method.

Then, it wasn't until 27th January 2008 that a member (CarreraK1D) reported on having tried both methods, but chose the hose as it seemed the more popular one.

On the same day (27th Jan 2008),  jcs responded with the following... so becoming the first to openly favour the plug method.

Quote...

"Just make sure you really plug the vacuum hose properly.  The car uses vacuum for a lot of other things besides the PSE valves.  If it leaks, you will get all sorts of grief and error messages.
I would really just disconnect the electric power from the solenoid (orange plug ) It's easier,can be re connected in seconds and there is zero chance of anything going wrong."

On 14th April this year Alan reported broken mufflers which could be related to using the plug method and recommended not to use it.

So, there you have it - a whole load of conjecture spanning over 4 years.

Personally, I'm still using the hose method with no problems, but did make sure the ends were very well plugged and couldn't leak.

I'd now be interested to hear opinions from active members who still use RC's original method.. such as.. Carlos, Easy, Mike S, Lars, Dillinger, Gnil, Fritz, Porker, Bluelines, Alex18 etc.

I'd also like to know what RC's contacts have to say on Adam's latest comment? Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."