PJ, many thanks for sharing this experience! I enjoyed all the information and sentiment you conveyed, as well as all the photos (especially W. Rohrl's signature Smiley ).

I have a couple questions:

• It was great to enjoy a hot lap with Jan Seyffarth behind the wheel of the GT3. When I entered the passenger seat he grinned and said: you GT3 guys are hard to impress by sheer speed, so I decided to show you something new - not the ideal line, but the race line
    Did he mean turning in late, in order to be on the power much earlier? Or the race line to overtake and prevent overtaking?

• [...] the track started to look like a rubber battlefield even on the ideal line (especially at the Loews corner). With the unavoidable pick up on the tires the car felt terrible [...]
    So the tires picked up chunks of rubber, large enough to cause vibration? wow Smiley. At least a few people were running on soft slicks then?

I especially like what I have quoted below, because I have found the same thing: It seems that guys who are friendly and calm, rather than show-offs, are usually the fastest on the track. They always have a few tenths on everybody else that you cannot shave off your lap, unless you become equally content with the universe.  Smiley

[...]Actually mean look at the parking lot versus mediocre performance on the track also works the other way round. One guy in our group appeared like an "innocent" guy with his comfy specced 997 GT3. On the track he drove excellent and I could learn a lot by following him

--
Costas